Head of Commercial
Commercialization, strategy, early-stage companies, established companies, working with companies $3-100M to increase their profitability in a common-sense and lateral way, governance, sales and marketing, leadership, company culture – creating best practice work environments and cultures, entrepreneurship & Innovation.
T +64 9 489 2331
M +64 21 703 999
Michael is an expert in high growth businesses. As the eighth hire and part of the senior management team at a start-up, Michael was fundamental in the company’s growth to 7,500 people in just over eight years, throughout Australasia. As the CEO of Asia and New Zealand (and one of New Zealand’s youngest major CEO’s) Michael guided the business to become one of New York stock exchange listed Omnicom Group’s (NYSE:OMC) most successful and profitable acquisitions. Since then he has founded a number of successful start-ups and turned around two mid-sized companies in logistics and FMCG, taking both from significant losses to profit within nine months.
Michael is currently chairman of several private companies and a specialist law firm. Aside from his business interests he also assisted with the re-launch of the charity Big Night In (raising $2M in 24hr) and created The ASB Great Debate.
Michael’s ability to critically evaluate innovations and opportunities from a commercial perspective is key to his contribution to the EverEdge team. His vast international networks, cultivated throughout his successful career leading up to joining the team, are now being opened up to many of EverEdge’s clients.
- Successful experience in launching start-up businesses in New Zealand, Australia and Asia, including a text-messaging business, a healthy food business, an online insurance comparison website, Marshmallow Shooters, a cost-reduction consultancy and an online office supplies retailer.
- Proven experience in succession planning and management
- Whilst at SalesForce (Salmat), worked with National Australia Bank, BNZ, Exxon Mobil, HP, Ericsson, American Express, Philips, Mercedes Benz Foxtel, Telstra, Air New Zealand, MediBank, Krone, Budget Vehicle Rentals, Flybuys, Lion Nathan, Hasbro, New Zealand Herald, , Mercury Energy, NRMA, Australian Marketing I,nstitute, HICAPS, Pfizer, Sealy, , Sky TV, Vodafone, Foxtel, , Ansett – developing and executing customer relationship strategy and taking the business from Melbourne, first to other states of Australia, then into Asia and New Zealand.
- As CEO at Harvest Traders worked with a large array of significant FMCG players including Cadbury and Sunkist, Progressive and Foodstuffs.
- As CEO of Tri-Star International, one of NZ’s largest Independent Freight Forwarders and third party logistics providers, achieved 28% increase in revenue and a 30% reduction in costs
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology and Statistics) – Monash University.
Vero Excellence in Business Awards Finalist, 2009.
Dec 16 - Global IP Exchange, San Diego.
Nov 16 - IP Law & Management Institute Conference, Los Angeles.
Jun 16 – World Disrupt Forum, Australia.
Mar 16 – Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) Conference, Thailand.
Sep 15 –World IP Forum, Thailand.