Managing Director Australia
Intellectual property review and assessment, intellectual property strategy, out-sourced intellectual property management, project management, cross culture negotiations.
T +61 2 9098 8222
M +61 404 195 710
Prior to joining EverEdgeIP, Yumi was CEO of one of the mid-tier Australian patent attorney firms, focussed on the day-to-day management of the business. During that time she experienced the frustrations of Australian companies protecting their intellectual property, without successfully being able to monetise those assets. So when the EverEdgeIP opportunity arose, she realised that the services this global company provided were indeed those that Australians needed to become robust players in the global market.
Yumi fell into intellectual property by chance. A Business and Economics major with an MBA, Yumi worked in media, the two largest Spanish banks and a Japanese manufacturing company. Given her international background, she was headhunted by a large patent attorney firm with offices in different countries to assist in their global business development.
In the Head Office in Madrid, Spain, she grew to become Head of Asia, Head of International Trade Marks and Quality Officer, where she achieved high ROI bringing Asian clients in the firm, while she assisted local companies in their international trade mark strategy. Internally she successfully achieved the first ISO9002 for a Spanish patent firm.
She then moved on to head the IP arm of the largest law firm in Spain and one of the top ten in Europe, Garrigues. At the time she joined the firm it was called Garrigues Andersen, part of the Andersen Legal group. Because of the experience of the team, the Spanish office was considered to be one of the leading IP advisors of that group. Yumi continued with Garrigues until her departure to Sydney for personal reasons.
Yumi also sits on the Boards of two medical start-ups and an Australian welfare charity to whom she brings business management expertise. She has been a speaker internationally on business and intellectual property and is a member of The Executive Connection, which is part of Vistage.
- Consultant for Asian companies exporting to Spanish speaking countries and Spanish companies exporting to Asia.
- Built awareness of intellectual property legal framework in Europe for Japanese and Korean companies.
- Assisted foreign companies to enter Asian markets by aligning their intellectual property strategy with general business strategy.
- Led management review in large Australian-based exporter. Reviewed systems and procedures to identify gaps and prevent leakage of intellectual property.
- As Managing Director of Garrigues IP firm, she was responsible for all client relationships and strategy development.
- Prior experience includes working for global company Clarke Modet, where she specialised in trade mark strategy prosecution.
- MBA – ESADE, Barcelona, Spain
- Bachelor of Arts (Business and Economics) – Sophia University, Tokyo, Japan
- Achieved the first ISO9002 for a Spanish patent firm