Chief Investment Officer
Complex cross border M&A execution, deal structuring and negotiation, corporate finance analytics and valuation, business restructuring and turnaround, business strategy and implementation, investment analysis and decision making, and monetisation of non-traditional and intangible business assets.
Francis is an experienced investment banker and special situation private equity investor. He was appointed as the Chief Investment Officer (CIO) at EverEdge in Oct 2018 and is responsible for origination and execution of intangible asset investment opportunities.
Francis has deep international experience and access, having lived and worked in NZ, Japan, UK and Switzerland. He held senior investment banking roles at Nomura and SMBC Nikko (Sumitomo-Mistui Bank) based in London, where he has successfully advised global companies on complex cross-border M&A including notable public and private transactions.
Prior to joining EverEdge, Francis was based in Geneva, Switzerland as Managing Partner at Valtegra, a special situation fund which acquires and invests in mature but underperforming mid-market industrial businesses and assets.
At EverEdge, Francis heads the investment arm of the business (EverEdge Capital), investing exclusively in Intangible Asset opportunities, which typically fit the following criteria:
- Operating businesses with high potential Intangible Assets
- Non-operational (pre-revenue) Intangible Assets where commercialisation is limited by capital, time, experience or expertise
- Poorly commercialised Intangible Assets
- Idle or under-utilised Intangible Assets
Francis has a successful track record in origination, diligence, execution, turnaround, and divestment of complex investment transactions. He has led and executed deep change and intensive care projects for challenging portfolio companies. He is also an experienced Board Member and commercial advisor.
Francis has successfully completed transactions worth US$ 7.1bn+ in deal value, including Intangible Asset transactions such as the sale of Eastman Kodak’s OLED IP assets (organic light emitting diode) to LG Corporation (Korea).
Other notable achievements include:
- Successful acquisition and restructuring of severe loss-making German public transport business (Transport Capital Group)
- Founding Partner of VALTEGRA LLP, specialist turnaround fund (rescue)
- Deep operational development of €50m+ UK chemicals plant serving the largest UK high street retailers and supermarkets
- Development of European M&A franchise for SMBC Nikko (Sumitomo Mitsui Bank), including origination and execution of the landmark acquisition of Jakobi Carbons by Osaka Gas
- Execution of complex hostile takeover of Freeworld Paints in South Africa by Kansai Paints
University of Waikato, NZ (1997 – 2001)
- Master of Management MMS , (Hons 1st) Finance & Strategy
- Bachelor of Management BMS, (Hons 1st) Finance & International Management