Non-executive director. Manager of Punakaiki Fund; an investor in Everedge and several other high growth technology companies; a former member of two Return on Science committees; and an investment readiness advisor via NZTE.
Prior Investments and Directorships include:
- Councillor for Internet NZ. Member of Audit Committee and Chair of Investment Committee.
- Co-Founder of Pacific Fibre, which aimed to connect Australia and New Zealand to the USA with a very high capacity Fibre. Some advice I wrote for following players.
- Founder and director of PowerKiwi, which supplied Flower Power, Tree Power and carbon neutralised Green Power to Powershop, an online electricity retailer. Power Kiwi was 2nd in the Deloitte Fast 50 and 18th in the Asia Pacific Technology Fast 500. Power Kiwi sold the contract back to Powershop and has ceased to trade.
- Co-Founder of AllAboutTheStory.com, a marketplace to help editors fill the gap and quality journalists and feature writers sell their stories. We folded this business after failing to get critical mass of buyers and sellers.
- Co-Founder of Groupy, which was sold to Yellow then Daily Do.
- Former Independent Director of Cadimage Group.
- Investor in Valuecruncher (closed down) and Chanui Tea (investment exited). I was also part of an informal advisory board for PlanHQ and advised on the sale to one founder.
Lance is the founding director of Punakaiki Fund, and a director of Boardingware, Melon Health, RedSeed, Vibe Communications, EverEdgeIP, Influx, Weirdly, Onceit, Mindfull, Linewize and NZ Artesian Water – all Punakaiki Fund investments.
Lance has worked with over 100 companies with NZTE’s Investment group (formerly called Better by Capital). He is also Chair of the ICT Return on Science Committee and a member of the Physical Sciences Return on Science Committee.
He previously co-founded or personally invested in over 15 companies, and brings experience from McKinsey & Co., Trade Me and many early-stage companies. He has a Yale MBA and a B Tech in Product Development.
Lance is Punakaiki Fund’s largest shareholder, holding 61,970 ordinary shares or 6.02% of Punakaiki Fund’s issued ordinary shares. Lance is not considered to be independent as he both holds more than 5% of the Shares in Punakaiki Fund and is one of the principals of the Manager.
- B Technology (Honours) (Product Development) 1989, from Massey University.
- MBA/MPPM (Strategy, Finance) 1998, from Yale University.
- McKinsey Mini MBA corporate finance faculty tutor, 2000.
- Former Member of NZ Institute of IT Professionals.
- COMU NZ Corporate Governance course, 2011.
- Member of Institute of Directors
- IOD Chairing the Board course 2014.