Head of Strategy
Intangible asset strategy; transfer of intellectual property (IP) into and out of Asia; intellectual property – registered and unregistered forms; technology commercialization; negotiating sale and licensing of intangible assets; patent protection and enforcement; licensing and litigation.
Paul is a global leader in the management, strategy and commercialization of intangible assets. He is also renowned for his significant experience in technology commercialization – helping businesses to realize the full potential of their intangible assets.
In recent years, Paul has been instrumental in helping to establish EverEdge’s Singapore presence and in building the company’s alliance with IPOS International, the enterprise arm of the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore. During this period, Paul has led projects for more than 60-companies, ranging from start-ups through to large enterprises. Through these engagements, Paul has helped his clients implement strategies to identify, manage, value and monetize their intangible assets, whether these are held in registered forms such as patents or unregistered forms such as trade secrets and knowhow.
Throughout his career, Paul has been heavily involved in negotiating commercial deals, particularly licensing deals between technology firms and large multi-nationals, as well as providing advice on multi-million dollar transactions of intangible assets and associated business units. He has also helped a number of companies with development of commercial strategies for exit and/or business succession.
Paul’s experience and expertise is recognized globally, with him being named as one of the world’s elite intellectual property strategists in the IAM Top 300 IP Strategists for the past four-years. He is a sought after international speaker, sharing his knowledge and insights into intangible assets at many events across the globe each year.
Prior to joining EverEdge, Paul held a number of senior positions with patent attorney and law firms internationally, including Deacons Hong Kong, Baldwins and AJ Park, where he worked with hundreds of companies, from technology start-ups to multi-billion dollar US multi-nationals.
When he is not working with EverEdge clients, Paul works closely with start-up opportunities through related interests.
- Significant experience in negotiating commercial deals – particularly licenses between technology firms and large multi-nationals
- Filing and enforcement strategies for multinational companies operating in Asia
- Intellectual Property strategies for tech start-ups
- Intellectual Property strategy and trade secret management for a multi-billion dollar US multinational, implementing across multiple jurisdictions
- Development of commercial strategies for exit and/or business succession
- Advised on multi-million dollar transactions of Intellectual Property and associated business unit
- Development of new plant varieties for exotic fruit
- Manufacturing and licensing agreements for pharmaceutical distributor
- Export of electronic equipment from China to the US.
- Wrote early stage cloud computing patent to solve version control for e-book reader (prior to the common understanding of cloud computing)
- Managed all aspects of intellectual property for manufacturer developing factory built housing.
- Intellectual property development and protection for a vast array of technologies e.g online electronic payment services, semi-conductors, LEDs, electronic equipment, children’s toys, plastic bottle closures, coat hangers, shower cubicles, bee keeping procedures, digital applications, photocopiers and pharmaceuticals.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering (Civil Engineering) – University of Auckland.
- Registered Patent Attorney