Right-size Your IP Porfolio
While patents and trademarks can be among the most valuable of all intangible assets, they can also quickly become a major and impenetrable cost center, costing hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars annually.
EverEdge’s Streamline™ intellectual property (IP) rationalization service is designed to help you right-size your IP portfolio to save you time and money.
Patents & Trademarks Can Become Very Expensive
Data from the US Patent and Trademark Office shows that only 5% patents ever make money and fewer than 2% cover their costs. Given that the cost of holding a patent in even a small number of countries can exceed $1M over the life of the patent, maintaining even a few surplus patents can rapidly become very expensive. For companies with even modest portfolios these costs can quickly become a major line item.
Likewise with trademarks, it is common for businesses to build up legacy portfolios of hundreds, thousands or sometimes even tens of thousands of trademarks, which can lead to a steady and painful cost escalation.
EverEdge Streamline™ Helps Reduce Ongoing Patent & Trademark Costs
The good news is that the cost of patent and trademark portfolios can be significantly reduced (anywhere from 20% to 80%) without any reduction in protection, scope or quality, by being smarter about the ways intellectual property rights are managed.
Drawing on the experience of some of the world's top ranked IP strategists, EverEdge’s Streamline™ service is designed to help you right size your IP portfolio.
Streamline™ has a unique business model: we are paid from the savings we create for you. Importantly, you will maintain control and have the final call on what assets to keep and what to rationalize. As an added bonus, Streamline™ can also help you to identify potential “Rembrandts in the Attic” (high quality IP assets) that you many never have realized you owned. It’s a win:win:win outcome.
An additional benefit of Streamline™ is that in some cases the rationalization project will logically lead to commercial conclusion of R&D or brand projects that are unlikely to generate a positive outcome for the company, thereby generating additional (often larger) savings (which we do not take any share of).
Streamline™ is suitable for customers with registered rights portfolios containing just a few rights up to tens of thousands.
Why Work With EverEdge
- EverEdge is the only provider to work on a share of cost approach – this a game changer.
- We are almost globally unique in being independent from the patent attorney industry.
- Although we employ patent attorneys we do not file patents or trademarks, ensuring the advice we provide advice about which assets to keep and which to rationalize is independent, objective and unbiased.
- Our consultants are ranked among the top intellectual property strategists in the world, rankings we've held for the last eight years consecutively.
- You will benefit from best in breed intellectual property strategy and insight capabilities.
Real Cost Savings
It is common for us to identify cost savings of between 20% and 80% of annual spend from our clients IP portfolios, with no reduction in quality or scope of protection.
In a medium sized portfolio this frequently amounts to tens of thousands to millions of dollars in annual, bottom line savings. In some cases, we have achieved cost savings of 30% with no reduction in the number of assets at all, simply by improving how third party legal providers are managed.
Examples of cost savings we have helped our clients achieve through Streamline™ include:
- Case Study 1: Major technology player: 5,000+ patents. Streamline™ identified ongoing cost savings of $4,000,000 per annum.
- Case Study 2: Large primary sector firm: 1,000+ trademarks, 300+ patent families. Streamline™ identified ongoing cost savings of $400,000 per annum.
- Case Study 3: Major industrial firm: 750+ trademarks, 50+ patent families. Streamline™ identified ongoing cost savings of $200,000 per annum.
- Case Study 4: Medium manufacturer: 800+ trademarks, 20+ patent families. Streamline™ identified ongoing cost savings of $250,000 per annum.
- Case Study 5: Major hospitality player: 400+ trademarks. Streamline™ identified ongoing cost savings of $50,000 per annum.
If you are interested in how EverEdge Streamline™ can deliver immediate, bottom line benefits for your business
contact us today for a free one-hour consultation at email@example.com.